DISCOVER DRAWING FALL 2018
With Virginia Freyermuth, Ph.D.
Holistic Art Educator, Master of Fine Arts
Illustrator of the award-winning "Norbert" picture books
DISCOVER DRAWING FALL 2018 COURSE
SELF-PACED. TAKE AS LONG AS YOU LIKE TO FINISH.
Adult Beginner to Intermediate Level
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST TO BE NOTIFIED OF NEW COURSES!
REGISTRATION CLOSES FOR THIS COURSE 10/20/18
Would you like a Gift Certificate?
Please e-mail me at [email protected]
What if…you knew that art was not meant for a talented few, but also for you?
What if…you could learn how to see like an artist and draw from observation?
What if…you decided that fear is no longer a good excuse to hold back your inner artist?
What if...you made art that was meaningful to you rather than copy someone else's art?
What if…you could learn from an award-winning instructor in your own home?
What if…you could Discover Drawing!
It's time to let your inner artist shine!
You only need pencil, paper, and eraser to begin your amazing adventure.
Learn specific drawing techniques and tips from a national award-winning art educator and professional artist.
Sharpen your skills with additional tools, if you choose, including colored pencils, pen, charcoal, watercolor, and oil pastel. Learn basic digital drawing on an iPad, too, if desired!
Learn how to convey emotion through your drawing.
Start a sketchbook or keep a portfolio of work, or both! Each will be a record of of your artistic growth over time.
Through a sequential art lessons, instructional videos, podcasts and written materials, you will gradually develop your drawing skills and discover the joys of capturing your ideas on the page. Even if you "can't draw a straight line," this class is for you! Depending on your enrollment choice, you could also get personalized feedback on your work from Virginia.
Virginia believes there is an artist in everyone. She has taught drawing to thousands of people of all ages for over 40 years, people who have been surprised and amazed at their own capacities. You never know where the journey will lead you until you take the first step, and it just might be transformative!
Enrollment is limited.
BEGIN YOUR COURSE ANYTIME AFTER YOU ENROLL.
Join our Mailing List to be notified when course begins and for new course offerings.
This course is taught in English.
This course is for adults. Please see FAQ's for high school-age inquiries.
Illustration by Virginia Freyermuth, "Norbert: What Can Little Me Do?"
In this class you will:
- engage in a holistic, individualized art making process
- use your choice of drawing media (but pencil, paper and eraser are the only media required)
- create a special space for your art making
- learn varied ways to draw what you see
- practice drawing from memory and imagination
- explore ways to make your drawings more expressive
- learn the basics of drawing on Virginia's favorite iPad app, if desired
- develop a portfolio or sketchbook of drawings to demonstrate your growth over time
8 SECTIONS OF SELF-PACED INSTRUCTION
INTRODUCTION: Listen to my philosophy about the teaching and making of art and create your pre-instructions drawing
MAKE WAY FOR ART: Decide on your art materials and welcoming create a space in which to work.
1. LET’S GET STARTED: How to draw for true beginners and refresher for more experienced artists.
2. DRAWING WHAT YOU SEE: Line drawing, sketching, value and color. Also, drawing on an iPad Pro, if desired.
3. MAKE YOUR MARK: Drawing with more confidence. Understanding space on a two-dimensional surface.
4. THE NATURE OF EXPRESSION: Understanding what you are drawn to. How do you make your art your own?
5. MAKING MAGIC AND BRINGING YOUR DRAWINGS TO LIFE: Understanding light. Drawing faces and people.
6. DRAMA AND MOOD: Making art infused with emotion.
7. PATTERN AND TEXTURE: Creating works of beauty through surface design.
8. MAKING DRAWING MEANINGFUL: Drawing with purpose and increasing diversity of subject matter.
REFLECTIONS AND NEXT STEPS: Tips for continuing your creative journey
- 1994 Massachusetts Teacher of the Year
- 1995 National Outstanding Art Teacher, Walt Disney American Teacher Awards
- 2014 Rhode Island Outstanding Higher Education Art Educator
- Bachelor and Master of Fine Arts Degrees in Painting
- Ph.D. Interdisciplinary Studies, Concentration in Art Education
A national award-winning artist educator, Dr. Virginia K. Freyermuth has taught for over 40 years to all age and experience levels from grades Pre-K through 12, college, and adults. Virginia is currently a licensed art educator in the state of Massachusetts.
She promotes a holistic approach to the teaching of art by which the heart and mind are open to possibility, where intention and intuition are honored, and where doing work that matters with wonder, grace and love is valued. She believes that each person has the capacity for authentic, personally meaningful artistic engagement and that the creative process can be transformative. Art is viewed as inclusive, an inherent part of whom we are as human beings; it is our universal language.
In addition to her teaching awards, she has won numerous awards for her fine art. The NORBERT book series she created, illustrated, and published with author Julie Freyermuth Steines won 9 international and national book awards.
Her professional website is www.VirginiaFreyermuth.com
This class is for you if:
- You are an adult beginner who wants to learn basic drawing skills -or-
- You already have some basic drawing skills but want to refresh or further refine your skills
- You want to experience a holistic artistic approach that honors head, heart and hands
- You want to better understand how to create in a more personally meaningful way
- You appreciate open-ended lessons that give you creative choices
- You want clear technical instruction and also creative inspiration
- You want to awaken the your inner artist
Frequently Asked Questions
Are you ready to make your world more colorful and creative?
Register Today! Enrollment is limited.
Course Begins Anytime after you enroll and never ends.
Welcome to your WorldClass Art Class.
*lifetime access to online course materials